Monday, February 11, 2013

Basil Pesto Sauce

For my first recipe, I will be posting Basil Pesto because I will be using it for my dinner tonight!

I absolutely LOVE pesto, but it is crazy high in fat between the olive oil and pine nuts so this is a low fat twist on pesto sauce... and let me tell you, it is delicious!!!

Ingredients:

2 Cups of Fresh Basil Leaves
2 Garlic Cloves
2 Tbsp of Pine Nuts
1/4 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
5/12 or .4 Cups of Fat-Free, Low-Sodium Chicken Broth *I will explain this break down later lol just have the broth ready* (I used College Inn Fat-Free, Low-Sodium Chicken Broth)
1 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
Dash of Sea Salt
Dash of Pepper

1. Put all the dry ingredients into food processor (Basil, Garlic, Pine Nuts, Salt, Pepper).

2. Blend until finely chopped.

3. In a measuring cup, add your olive oil.

4. Next, add broth to measuring cup filling it up to 2/3 Cups level on measuring cup.

5. Next, add the lemon juice to the measuring cup.

6. Final step, SLOWLY add measuring cup contents into food processor while blending.

This should make about 1 1/8 cups of pesto sauce, making the serving size 2 Tbsp (with a total of around 9 servings).

Nutritional Info:
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp.

Calories: 66
Carbs: 1
Fat: 7
Sodium: 53

Voila!

Delicious low fat Pesto!

No comments:

Post a Comment